Sunday, February 14, 2010

New beginnings

It is past eleven on a Sunday night and I am still up working on something. This time, my week begins early. I think working Sunday night is a good way to beat Monday blues.

As I was reading slide after slide, the idea suddenly came upon me that I should re-start blogging. Mind you, I have done this a half a dozen times. But for once, I got the blog address I was looking for in the first attempt. I do not like to claim myself to be a believer in superstition (I'm supposed to be a member of the Brights Society) But this time, maybe it just felt good to get the blog address of your choice.

I do not have a direction for this blog as of now. And I would be uncomfortable if I did have one in mind. I think direction stifles creativity. It is also that this early into this blog, I wouldn't want to take call on what I should write about. Something might come up as I progress.

Today, the world celebrates Valentine's day. I did too but that's besides the point. Celebrating Valentine's day is by no means universal. There are a few pre-requisites for it - love (obviously), people, freedom, smart marketers (yes, that is increasingly becoming true).

Among the things I listed, let me pick on freedom. You need a certain degree of freedom to celebrate it. The lack of freedom doesn't preclude Valentine's day but it certainly jeopardizes attempts to celebrate it.

There is an interesting episode of how a certain person chose this day to show hatred against someone, something on this day. For this certain person, someone and something, this day would denote a day of hatred. The day when the hatred began - to be precise. Hatred is as strong as love, and even in this case it outlived one of the people involved.

In many places in the world, there are some things which neither money nor MasterCard can buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment